bentART Conditions of Entry 2018
Who can enter
bentART is focused on encouraging, promoting and supporting the visual art of Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer (LGBTIQ) people of Australia.
The sexual orientation of LGBTIQ artists naturally informs and influences their perspective
and vision. It is this orientation and view of the world that is encouraged by bentART. All
artworks are judged on their artistic merit. We are also keen to increase awareness of the work of LGBTIQ artists amongst the broader community and welcome the support of non -LGBTIQ people through coming to the exhibition, joining as a member, volunteering or sponsorship.
Conditions of Entry 2018
1. Applications to exhibit are open to LGBTIQ people living in Australia, who are financial
To exhibit are open to LGBTIQ people living in Australia, who are financial
members of bentART, and who enter work that has been completed in the past two years
and has not been entered into a previous bentART exhibition. Members may submit 3
individual pieces of work plus an entry in Smart Phone-ography.
2. Acceptable media Painting, photography, printmaking, drawing, sculpture, textile, fibre art, video, installations and digital art etc. Note – digital
Painting, photography, printmaking, drawing, sculpture, textile, fibre art, video, installations and digital art etc. Note – digital art are those works and practices that use digital technology as an essential part of the creative or presentation process.
Are you a member? If not stop here and become one. Apply online at
http://bentart.com.au/about-bent-art/membership/ (please note – if you do not know
anyone from the bentART Committee to nominate you for membership, complete the form
and forward an email to mailto:email@example.com and the membership
application will be presented to the Committee for consideration).
4. Entry Size
The maximum size for entries is 1200 mm x 1200 mm for wall-hung entries and 1200 mm x
1200 mm footprint floor standing entries.
5. Ready for Exhibiting
All works must be presented ready for exhibiting. This is very important. If your work is not
ready for exhibiting, it will not be accepted, see definition below. All care will be taken with
artworks; however bentART Committee and organisers accept no liability for loss or damage
of submitted works. Insurance is the responsibility of the artist “Ready for exhibiting” means the following – paintings, photographs, printmaking or drawing and any other media to be hung must be mounted and framed with “D” rings and wire attached to the rear. Wet art works will not be accepted. Over-sized (maximum size 1200mm x 1200mm wall space or footprint for floor standing objects) will not be accepted.
Heavy or cumbersome works will be assessed on an individual basis. As such, all works must be in a form that facilitates simple and easy set up by curators.
6. Set-up and/or maintenance requirements
Volunteers staff the exhibition. In the case of artworks requiring set up and or maintenance, such as installations, the set up responsibility of the individual artist and not the volunteers rostered on duty.
Independent professionals will curate the exhibition. bentART reserves the right to select pieces for the exhibition and the curators’ decision will be final, no discussion or correspondence will be entered into regarding selection of works. Due to space limitations, not all entries may be able to be displayed. In this event, curators will attempt to ensure that all artists have at least one entry shown. Artists will be asked to nominate an order of preference on the official entry form. If the curators believe a work has been entered into an incorrect category, their decision as to what is the correct category is final.
Unless the Committee contacts you to advise that your work has not been accepted, youmay assume it has been.
8. Work Health & Safety
Even where a work is initially accepted and displayed, bentART reserves the right to remove a work during the course of the exhibition if it is considered a Work, Health and Safety risk.
9. Sale of Art Works
All works are to be for sale and will have a commission of 25% on all sales. This is nonnegotiable
and bentART will not enter into any discussions regarding varying arrangements in regard to commissions. The sale price is to be determined by the artist. Please consider pricing carefully, as prices will not be changed once an application has been submitted.
10. Categories 2018 Exhibition
Youth (18-21 years old at time of submitting entry)
Pets & Wildlife Smartphone-ography (see 10a) 10a – Pets & Wildlife Smartphone-ography
This category is in the form of a digital entry and will be displayed on a screen organised by
the bentART Committee and will be presented in the form of a ‘
slide show’ of entries. The photograph is to have been taken within the last 12 months using a Smartphone and must be of a Pet or Australian Wildlife and be emailed in with your entry form to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Wentworth Falls Animal Hospital has been a long-standing sponsor of bentART and this category has been especially included as a fun category to be judged by the Vets from the Animal Hospital. It also recognises the fact that many LGBTIQ people and families have one or more fur kids or have a love for our wonderful wildlife. Entry into this category does not exempt the artist from entering as a first time exhibitor.
Entries in this category are $5.00.
- Overall bentART Exhibition Award
- Highly Commended Awards– multiple
- New Entrant Award
- Youth Award
- People’s Choice Award
- Pets & Wildlife Smartphone-ography Award
- Hangers’ Award
All prizes will be announced on Opening Night (Friday 8th June) except the People’s Choice, which will be announced at the closing of bentART on Monday afternoon (11th June) when people come to collect their purchases or unsold artworks.
12. Additional prizes
Additional prizes may be judged and awarded at the discretion of the Committee.
13. Promotional activities by bentART
bentART reserves the right to conduct promotional activities involving media coverage as
well as display of photographs of artworks on the official bentART website (http://bentart.com.au) and related marketing material. All entrants must consent to the bentART Media Policy http://bentart.com.au/bentart-media-policy/
14. Entry fee / Number of Works
A non-refundable entry fee of $20.00 per work with a maximum of three entries per artist.
15. Entry Form and Payment
Entry form to be completed and returned with payment by 5.00pm Friday 11 May 2018 via one of the following methods:
• Preferred – complete the entry form on the bentART website. http://bentart.com.au
• Email to mailto:email@example.com
• Post to bentART, PO Box 7212, Leura NSW 2780
Payment can be made via
• Direct deposit into our bank account – Bendigo Bank, Account Name bentART Inc.,
BSB: 633-000, Account No: 145120556. When making a direct deposit list your
name and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to advise amount paid and
what the payment is for (e.g. entry, membership) Please also quote the transaction
• Bank cheque
o Cheques to be made payable to bentART Inc. and posted to bentART, PO Box
7212, Leura NSW 2780
16. Identification of art works A jpeg file must accompany all entries or 10x15cm photograph of each artwork being entered and a brief statement about each artwork (max 30 words for the catalogue). The photograph is for identification purposes only and it is not included in the catalogue. bentART reserves the right to edit artist statements about their work if 30 words per artwork is exceeded. Photos can be emailed to mailto:email@example.com Please include your name and title of work on the back of the photo or in the email.
17. Delivery of works
• Delivery of works, without prior receipt of entry form with payment and photographs, will not be accepted.
• Delivery of works must be made to Wentworth Falls School of Arts, 217-219 Great Western Highway, Wentworth Falls (rear entrance) on Wednesday, 6 June 2018 between 3:00pm and 7:30 pm.
• Late delivery of works will not be accepted.
18. Hours of Exhibition
• Opening Night Friday, 8 June 6.30pm – 9.30pm
• Saturday, 9 June and Sunday, 10 June 10.00am – 4.00pm
• Monday, 11 June 10.00am – 2.00pm
19. Unsold work
Unsold work must be collected on Monday, 11 June between 2:00 – 4:00pm.
It is advisable that artists allow extra travel time to get to the hall to collect any unsold artworks as Monday is a Public Holiday and there are often traffic delays on the highway. It is the responsibility of the artist to allow enough time to collect their artworks. Please note that any artwork not collected at this time will be donated to a local charity by the bentART Committee.
20. Losses or Damage
All care will be taken with artworks, however the bentART Committee and organisers accept no liability for loss or damage of submitted works. Insurance is the responsibility of the artist.
Any general questions regarding conditions of entry please email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Juls on 0411882779.
• To enter the bentART Exhibition you must be a member. Click here for membership details. http://bentart.com.au/about-bent-art/membership/
• You must read and fully understand the bentART Media Policy. http://bentart.com.au/bentart-media-policy/
• You must agree and comply with the Conditions of entry.